RCU Forums - View Single Post - Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Stevedots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

I finally have maidened the Space Shuttle. I gave up on getting a relative on scene with a video camera but I did get some stills. Sorry the in flight photos weren’t better but next time I’ll get some low flybys.

First I have to thank everyone involved, especially Carlos who without his help I never would have completed the Shuttle or gotten her off the ground. Also the original designer, Richard(I look forward to his next Shuttle Design) and EJF for selling me the parts. Also everyone else who has made suggestions.

Flight report as follows. The configuration of my Shuttle is difference than Carlos’s so I figured there would be changes to make and there are. My first attempt (off grass) she didn’t want to lift off. So like Carlos, I will have to extend the length of the nose wheel to bring the nose up a bit more and get the wings parallel with the runway. On the second run down the runway she hit a bump and that brought the nose up enough for her to catch some air under the wings. Once that happened she took off straight and very smoothly. With that 70 mm ducted fan roaring it sounded like something from NASA! Right after takeoff I noticed she was tail heavy (70 mm fan, larger ESC, metal main gear etc.) so I was flying most of the flight with full down elevator! I cut power to 50% and she was still climbing. Cut it back to 40% and with full down elevator I was able to level her out. I had 60% duel rates and 60% expo because I was paranoid of over control but she seemed rock solid in roll. I’ll probably change my duel rates and expo to have more control in roll and pitch next time. I only flew her twice around the field and brought her down. The landing was very smooth and better than a lot of my other fixed wing landings. The toughest part of the entire flight was keeping full down elevator. That forced me to land and change height with throttle, which is how I should be doing it with all my planes anyway!

So I will be changing my rates and expo, raising the nose and moving my center of gravity forward. Thanks again to Carlos and everyone else involved in this EDF Shuttle!

Here are the specs on the Shuttle, then some photos:

70mm Typhoon EDF 2W-20-75A drive set
High end R/C HET-75A ESC
Hyperion 2200 4S lipo 45C
Metal landing gear with suspension from Windrider #W78LGS (modified from four wheel mains to two wheel)
Weight of Shuttle with battery: 2 lbs 10 oz.
Weight of battery: 9.25 oz
Static ground test, battery at 100% = 895 Watts
80% = 874 Watts
My heart rate during flight….off the scale!!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52501.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1615268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21470.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1615269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89689.jpg
Views:	165