RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Futaba Transmitters
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Futaba Transmitters

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

I was in the market for a new Futaba radio and was looking into the new 8FG super, so I called Hobbico tech support (Futaba Tech support) to ask about the new 8FGS. Problem is no one from hobbico tech support can explain to me how the software change from the 8FG to the 8FGS allows for controlling the extra channels e.g there is no channel 8 thru 14 in the menus.

When I asked if the 8FGS software adds six new channels I was told no. So my next question was then how can you say it adds channels? At this point the person that's supposed to know started to get irritated with me. That fact alone caused me two think twice about this supposed new technology. If you advertise that your 8 channel radio has 6 extra channels doesn't that make it a 14 channel radio? If so, why advertise it as an 8 channel radio. If not why the H#@$ are you trying to market to me an 8 channel plus 6 channel radio when in fact it is not?

After that round of questions which I have to say left me more confused about the new 8FGS's features then I was before I talked with the tech, I then asked the tech why Futaba is adding the FHSS 2.4 gig technology to there lineup if FASST was superior technology? His response was to make their entry level radio's less expensive. Too which I replied does it work with the other FHSS techology already available and his repose was no. I next asked if I already had FASST technology was it compatible? Too which he said no. At this point I'm totally confused to why Futaba would do such a thing and asked why would Futaba would want to muddy the waters with two different technologies which at this point the tech in the know was definitly quite irritated with me. I continued to ask questions about whether or not this new technology would be added to their top end radios and was told not at this time.

Bottom line here is that I could not get a clear answer as to how the new channels on the 8FGS work and feel Futaba is floundering in which direction they want to go with this new technology. I am also going to wait to see if they update the 10C 12FG and 12Z to this new additive technology and to see some posts about it here as far as the pros and cons. I suspect they will not with the addition of their new 18 channel radio. Can anybody enlighten me on 8FGS?

No new Futaba's for me in the for seeable future.
Bryan
Check out this thread!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10566162