RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airtronics Servos to Futaba FASST Rx
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
jstrach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airtronics Servos to Futaba FASST Rx

ORIGINAL: ArchNemesis
A few thoughts. Changing the servo connectors is no big deal, you can either put new connectors on or get the little 3" conversion connector cables. But if those servos are the old style plug, they're at least 14 yrs old. The last servos sold that way are back from 1997. You'll spend more time messing around with the connectors than you would picking up some new servos. I can't tell from the photo what servos those are, but servo technology has come a long way to where even the inexpensive servos today are stronger, faster and center better than all but the very top of the line servos from back then.
Right, Irecognize that picking up some new servos is "easy" - but it's at a minimum $65 for four servos. The connectors are $10 from Tower Hobbies.

Also, in this day of all digital, not all of the older analog servos are compatible with 2.4Ghz systems (regardless of brand). So that's something to be aware of.
This would be the deal breaker for sure, then... but I won't know until I get the connectors set up.

As for the wiring, it's a simple change. Swap the red and black from the old connectors. The current servos (all brands are the same now) have the red positive lead in the middle and the black neutral on the outside.
There are three wires coming from Airtronics servos; whereas there are two on my Futaba servos. Not sure what the third wire is. Ihave one black with red stripe; then two solid black wires on the Airtronics servos. On the Futaba, there usually is only a red and black - but then sometimes there's a white wire....?

[/quote]