RCU Forums - View Single Post - single battery possible?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: single battery possible?

ORIGINAL: lfinney

two issues are being discussed

1. is rf noise passed thru battery?.. the answer is no, just go as the engineers at apc or the likes the battery absorbs the spikes and noise.

2. 200ma nimh dont have enough amperage output to supply the draw of the digital servos and ignition, lipo and life batteries do....
why would any one use nimh in this day and age is beyond me, they cost more do less and fail often, as well as having much shorter lifespan, and weigh more, and cost more.
I'm agreeing with the bold (while noting we're talking about 2000's). My note was an attempt at illustrating how that decision was made - in case others were headed down the same path. It was certainly not intended as a "how to", but more of a "how NOT to" - but I thought that was obvious?

My biggest lesson had to do with the fact that the NiMh batteries pretty much suck when it comes to supplying amperage when compared to about any other battery type commonly used in RC. Despite their popularity with the guys I fly with, and the fact I consider myself fairly well read when it comes to RC (though admittedly not a fan of all the electronics), I missed that fact - which became the latest in the list of "stuff" learned the hard way....

I did see where the NiMh sub C packs would do the job. I looked at the weight of the sub C's (almost the same as 2 AA packs) and decided I preferred the redundancy of the second pack. I had the 2nd pack in stock, and the second switch had already been installed, so I went that way.....this time. This new education in hand, I won't be buying any more NiMh - but I'm not going to throw them all away either....