RCU Forums - View Single Post - engine for Top Flight Corsair
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine for Top Flight Corsair

I wouldnt use the robart retracts. I had those on mine and had nothing but trouble. The scissor links tend to bend. Once bent, you gotta replace them. Straightening does no good. Others seem to have figured out how to make them work, but wasnt worth it in my opinion. Mine ran a ST.90 with a slimline large volume pitts muffler. Perfect combo in my opinion. What was said about the cowl baffle is right on the money. You really need it, my engine overheated until I put the baffle in and had about a 2"x4" exhaust hole out the bottom for the muffler. Be careful adding a lot of scale detail. The plane flys great up to about 9.5 lbs. I've seen them fly heavier (even at 12lbs), but they were not that much fun. It has a nasty snapping stall if you get too slow especially at the heavier weight. Both of my corsairs would roll inverted on a snap stall. Need lots of altitude to recover. Keep the elevator throw at a minimum. Warbirds can be a handful and do a high speed stall at the top of a loop, if you have too much elevator, and cork screw out who knows what direction. I had about 1/4" throw on mine. Use all the throw you can get on the rudder, you'll need it to control torque on takeoff. Ailerons seemed good at 3/8" to 1/2". Its a lot of fun to fly when balanced and setup right.
Edwin