Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

engine for Top Flight Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

engine for Top Flight Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Viva Las Vegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine for Top Flight Corsair

Hello to all,

I am new to the RC forums so I'm not sure I am in the right area but here goes,although I have been involved in the hobby for about five years I consider myself to be in the beginner level.My main interest is in sport scale and scale aircraft kits. I have recently purchased a Top Flight gold edition Corsair kit and plan on as much scale detail as I can manage, along with the kit I bought Robart retracts and retact tail wheel,dummy radial eng and cockpit kit. This is my most ambitious project so far. I have narrowed my engine search to 1. OS- FS120III w pump 2. Saito- FA 125A and have just heard about the RCV 120SP engine with which I might be able to use four blade scale prop and this is something I would very much like to do. Also would verymuch like to create a scale exhaust system. Thanks ahead for any and all advice.

Best regards,
Viva Las Vegas!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:04 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: engine for Top Flight Corsair

Hi!
I have been in this hobby (R/C) since 1975.
...And I have heard many people like you wishing to fly WW2 fighters.
The most common mistake newcomers do ( Yeah, I consider 5 years a newcomer) is over powering a plane and most important, Getting a plane that is way too heavy!

Remember, your plane is fairly small and if painted will weigh rather much so do not use a 20cc (1.20) fourstroke or any other engine that size.
A much better choice (if you fly at sea level that is) is to use a 15cc (.90) four stroke or a 15cc two stroke.
Using a large volume silencer the two stroke will be quieter than the fourstroke and weigh less.
If you go the four stroke way the pumped OS engine is a good choice.
I would also consider covering the plane using Oracover plastic film. That's the best film covering to date. This will produce a light airplane and a plane that will have more chance to last...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31288.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1631768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93158.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1631769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15554.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1631770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59441.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1631771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug52698.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1631772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Br12111.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1631773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35749.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1631774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba90444.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1631775  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw37164.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1631776  
Old 07-05-2011, 06:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with jaka, an OS 91 Surpass is ideal for this kit, although I would also consider the new OS 95 4-stroke. The pump is not necessary and only adds to the confusion.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:30 AM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Our field is at 5000 feet. Iwouldn't consider anything smaller than a 1:20. Yesterday I seen a fellow try to fly a Top Flight P-40 with a 91 four stroke. Never got off the runway. To much power is fine, not enough sucks. Mac
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, if you're that high a 120 would be good. I would go with the OS 120 - no pump (I have heard about many issues with the pump)
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Top Flite Corsair and mine is powered by an OS .91FX two stroke. Mounted on its side with a Bisson pitts-style muffler. I went with a two stroke because it fits better inside the cowl. Mounted on its side because it runs better than mounting inverted, and the pitts muffler exhausts right out the bottom.

Runs great, pulls the plane around with plenty of power, and even sounds good!

Whichever engine you choose, be sure to make the cowl baffle that they show in the instructions. This directs the in-coming air over the engine head to cool it. And of course you need to cut a big hole in the bottom of the cowl to let the hot air out. I know, I hated to carve that big hole, but if the engine overheats you'll be doing a lot of dead-stick landings!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Viva Las Vegas

Thanks toyou all for all the good tips and replys, I had not even considered the effects of density altitude on performance. I live at about 2500ft above MSL and summer temps can hit 115. As a newcomer and in trying to get a lot of scale detail I notice my models tend toward the heavy side so am leaning toward a little reserve power.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DLE-20 gas engine. Uses less fuel, 10oz tank gives 15 min of flying and weighs less than a 1.20 Fs, fits in a std engine mount and no mess to clean up when your done. I have one in my PT-17 15lbs my Ryan 12lbs and my TF P-47 scaled and fiberglassed also 12lbs. More power is better than less and thats why we have a throttle. Oh and the price $269.00 vs $400 for the FS. Go gas!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 AM
Augie11

You might want to try a Saito 1.00 whcih actually has a displacement of 1.10 cu. in. Good, reliable engine, no pump involved. I've got one in a kit-built TF AT-6 and fly at 5500 feet and it's a good match. Don't get me wrong, I have three OS .91 4-strokes and love them but for a heavily loaded warbird like you're planning I'd go with the Saito.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt use the robart retracts. I had those on mine and had nothing but trouble. The scissor links tend to bend. Once bent, you gotta replace them. Straightening does no good. Others seem to have figured out how to make them work, but wasnt worth it in my opinion. Mine ran a ST.90 with a slimline large volume pitts muffler. Perfect combo in my opinion. What was said about the cowl baffle is right on the money. You really need it, my engine overheated until I put the baffle in and had about a 2"x4" exhaust hole out the bottom for the muffler. Be careful adding a lot of scale detail. The plane flys great up to about 9.5 lbs. I've seen them fly heavier (even at 12lbs), but they were not that much fun. It has a nasty snapping stall if you get too slow especially at the heavier weight. Both of my corsairs would roll inverted on a snap stall. Need lots of altitude to recover. Keep the elevator throw at a minimum. Warbirds can be a handful and do a high speed stall at the top of a loop, if you have too much elevator, and cork screw out who knows what direction. I had about 1/4" throw on mine. Use all the throw you can get on the rudder, you'll need it to control torque on takeoff. Ailerons seemed good at 3/8" to 1/2". Its a lot of fun to fly when balanced and setup right.
Edwin
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

My TF kit is the Mustang.  It is the 1/7 scale.  They also make the 1/4 scale.  I am puttin g the 1.20 Magnum on my Stang.  I have used many 91 sizw Magnums and they all run great with plenty of power.  Plus I only paid 200 bucks for mine. 
Old 07-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The other engine of choice would have to be the saito FG-20 gasser. I have a friend running two of these in a kmp B-25 turning ( I believe they are 15-8 three bladed props) and they sound awsome. They run on gas/oil mix and will run for like an hour on 10oz of fuel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51720.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1640619