View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM
mickvk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo arm thread lock

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

ORIGINAL: mickvk

I understand that threadlock can attack servo gears and obviously isn't recommended. I sometimes see blue rubber cement used instead (on metal outputs only of course). I tried using shoe goo rubber cement, but it's not the right consistency. Can anyone recommend a rubber cement product that works well? Thanks -Mick

I have read through this thread and I am still scratching my head.
What is your problem with thread locks ? If it is this fear that it can attack the metal servo gears, then you have been misinformed from my experiences of their use. I have used Thread locks #222 and #242 with not a single problem in over 20 yrs of using the stuff. Not a single screw lost or loosened up.

I have seen people use dabs of silicon on the top of the servo screws so they would not loosen up, but have had problems picking off the silicon to get to the screws.

Also, in over 35 years of being a part of this hobby and buying many, many servos, I have never seen not one servo come with a thread lock of any kind on them, but have seen "star" washers. Don't know what servos you are buying ???????

Just my 2 opinion.
THank you. I'm not sure if it's worth our time for me to explain and then you try to talk me out of what I'm looking for... But anyhoo - I think it's safer for me to avoid using thread lock since it's identified as a problem for carbonite gears. I don't always know what's in the black box, I just want to know what product is similar to the cement that BlueBird and others use on their screws. I'm not saying everyone has to agree and I'm not saying that that's the right way to do it.

The only real response I'm looking for is if somebody is familiar with the rubber cement product or something similar to what Bluebird uses on their screws. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.