RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nice Twin cyl engine...West Germany. 50cc
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Nice Twin cyl engine...West Germany. 50cc

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

If you do a little more reading you would find you need to do some machining inside the engine to change the gear. Google Kavan 50. You'll find a wealth of info and no body flys this collector's item.

The last LNIB Mk I w/ spare cylinders and heads sold here on rcu for $699.00 shipped in 2007. Less than what I got for my used Enya VT240. Hobby Shack sold the Kavan MK I for $899.00 in the 80's. It's a nice engine but it's not made to any scale and it's only 1/2 of the four cylinder full scale engine.
So spit it out....what and why is this mahining need to be done? You seem to be a pro on this engine. I did read a guy flew a J3 with the Kavan 50 and a TV station filmed it. Now I know you cannot fly all kinds of manuvers, (bcause ofoil in sump) but if you fly scale and sensible, this engine should last for years. But on the other hand....some people can screw up anything! I change the oil every 3rd or forth run.

I had a friend who owned one. Former master machinist at Pratt and Whitney back when they made round engines with lots of cylinders. He has since passed. I do know a great deal about this engine. I was going to buy one until he told me more about it's oiling system, weight and parts availabilty. It's a great looking, well built engine but as Antique pointed out he saw them fly years ago when they first came out. The guy that posted the most MK I videos on youtube is looking for valve train parts now.
I purchased a NIB OS 300 and two NIB Enya VT240's instead.
What's the matter cap? I have shared a bunch of accurate info but I guess it's not what you wanted to hear.
Well Chap...I read about your Enya VT240,s that was not os good....I guess you may not like to hear that...so I will be polite and not go on & on about your sweet enignes...they quit making. bye>>