RCU Forums - View Single Post - whats the different between tune muffler and tune pipe?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: whats the different between tune muffler and tune pipe?

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

...A Diesel, when properly warmed and in tune will over compress with any form of returning or 'positive push' wave as that wave will force gases back into the open exhaust port at the last moment. This has been confirmed by fliers who have diesel speed models - no pipe other than a straight length that gained perhaps 200 rpm has any benefit on a diesel.

Yet here we are with MVVS 2.5cc diesels running with a known power boosting pipe, in the correct rev range and yet suffering nothing from over compression.

This seems to tell me that if the MVVS pipe has a 'positive' wave then its effect is not felt back at the exhaust port.

At the moment, my head hurts thinking about this!

Chris,

It is exactly for this reason that when selling an MVVS Diesel, I always emphasized buying a standard silencer with it was the proper thing to do.

It could be that the compression can be adjusted at top-RPM, with the tuned-silencer installed...
...But this modest compresion setting still allows the engine to idle and to transition from low RPM, without bogging...

Go figure...

It could be that 'the step' with the MVVS tuned silencers, is gradual and subtle; not sudden, as it is with a tuned-pipe (especially a dual-cone type)...
These exhausts; although MVVS do specify an effective RPM range for them, seem to positively affect the engine's operation wherever you take it.

EDIT: Addition of info.