Thread: ASP Engines
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ASP Engines

ORIGINAL: carrellh

It seems every brand has fans as well as non-fans, and they sometimes like to argue.

My ASP 61 runs as well as any two stroke I've seen. I run my engines at half throttle quite a bit. My Thunder Tiger 61 tends to surge and blubber at half throttle where my ASP is very smooth. My OS 46 and Thunder Tiger 46 are also very smooth at half throttle. I experimented by putting the ASP carb on the TT and it made the TT run smoothly at all throttle settings.

Based on experience with Magnum (same as ASP?) four strokes, I think there may be some validity to the comments about inconsistency of ASP engines from one to the next. My brother and I bought a bunch of Magnum four strokes when Hobby People dropped the prices a few years ago. With the same fuel and prop, one .91 will turn 800-1000 rpm less that the others. Valve adjustment doesn't change anything. We've also had two or three break the crankshaft (pin for the rod). Global fixed them for free but it's no fun having an engine break while flying around.

> edit <
Based on my one TT 61 experience, I would not recommend it to anyone even though many people like them.

I think it's the same for ASP. I would recommend the 61 two stroke. I like the four strokes (61, 70, 91) pretty well but would prefer OS or Saito.

I am an OS engine lover from back in the Sixties. However, also from back in the Sixties, I have learned to love Enya and Super Tigre. I've never had an Enya that had any kind of problem. I had one Super Tigre (S-40K) that provided reliable, but lack luster performance. I've had one OS engine that peeled its liner (OS .32F) and an OS .61VF that gave me fits, but which eventually straightened out after lots of running.

I've had one Sanye made (Magnum .30 four-stroke) engine that would not idle below 3k rpm, but it ran fine in every other way. Out of well over a dozen Sanye made engines, that is the only problem that I have experienced with that brand. I have yet to wear one out. Would I rather have an OS? Yes. Then I would sell it and buy two or three Sanye engines.

Ed Cregger