Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ASP Engines

I have been an OS advocate for my entire RC flying career but with the high prices of OS engines I am considering ASP. ASP engines are half the cost of an OS here in Thailand, and since I am planning on a twin, that adds up in a hurry. I use .25-.60 size engines, and I know that the larger ASP engines have a bad rep on some searches I did. But how about the small ASP engines? I would like to hear of your actual ASP experiences before I start down this path.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:06 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASP Engines

I have a .61 two stroke. It runs very well at all throttle settings.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM
mike109

G'day

I have had several smaller ASP four strokes. They were OK and some were quite good but there was a deal of variation between then. I bought a pair to use in a twin but one was always about 1000 rpm better than the other and neither was particularly reliable. I sold them to a friend and he had the same problems with them. I do have a new ASP 30 four stroke in a box. It was just too cheap to resist.

I have had quite a few of the mid size four strokes too - again some were really quite good and the one I have at the moment (a 61) is OK but its exhaust valve leaks. I have tried all the usual fixes but it still leaks. Despite this it runs fairly well and it is not in a critical model so I just keep using it.

They do seem to benefit from fuel with some castor oil in it. Without it they run hotter and take forever to run in. The castor seems to keep them cooler and happier generally but there is the standard "gunky" down side from castor.

If I am buying new engines these days, I buy Saitos for four strokes and Enya for two strokes. I get the Enyas direct from Ken Enya at Enya Metal Products in Japan or from eBay. They are not cheap but they run really well and they last well too.

Mike in Australia
Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The .12 and the latest .15xls are good engines, they both like to rev.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Altered1

I like my ASP52AII, it has been a strong performer and easy starter straight out of the box.  I've had a small air leak from the rear safety needle, but apart from that, it's a great little cheap motor.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:30 AM
Turk1

ASP 52 is a great engine.If you can find JBA F type engines,they are also great and cheap engines.Weakest point of ASP engines are OS type carb retainer screws.High risk of fell on air.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

All I can say is I took third place in Fast Combat at the Nats one year using a **ASP .36 (a.k.a. Magnum, back then) against a bunch of Nelson .36s.

Iskandar

**Fine print: Actually, I used the Magnum in the first 3 rounds only. In the third match, the front of the shaft, along with the front bearing, drive washer, propeller, prop washer and nut left, fortunately after I got the kill. I then switched to a Fox Mark VI, which lasted 2-3 matches, until a collosal mid-air, which caused a bent shaft. I then switched to my Wylie .36, which was really inconsistent (and this caused me to lose twice to Henry Nelson, who won..).
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
ASP .40 (same as Kyosho .40 GX) is as powerful as the TT .40 PRO SE!
I use several of the GX .40 in Q-500 racing , and all turn 14000 rpm with a 10x6 RAM prop (Which is the best prop available at that size together with 10x6 Graupner Cam-prop).
Only difference between .40 ASP and Kyosho GX engines is that the Kyosho .40 engine has a little bit larger silencer exit.
Both very good engines!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59490.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1672214  
Old 10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
fordman1
Banned

You get what you pay for.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: thailazer

I have been an OS advocate for my entire RC flying career but with the high prices of OS engines I am considering ASP. ASP engines are half the cost of an OS here in Thailand, and since I am planning on a twin, that adds up in a hurry. I use .25-.60 size engines, and I know that the larger ASP engines have a bad rep on some searches I did. But how about the small ASP engines? I would like to hear of your actual ASP experiences before I start down this path.

I have been running many Sanye (ASP/Magnum/SC) engines for over two decades. None have given me any particular problems. Yes, they do have their own quirks and idiosyncracies, just like any other brand of engines. Being less expensive, they are a little rougher out of the box than an OS or YS engine. This is "normal" and is not an indication of a flaw. Follow the breeak-in procedure specified by the manufacturer and you will have an excellent engine.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM
jeffie8696

ASP/Sanye/Magnum engines are good if you get a good one but the quality control is spotty.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Altered1

ORIGINAL: fordman1

This comment is from experience ? What did you have and what went wrong ?

I can only speak from my experience, which is relatively positive for my one engine. The TS did ask for your experiences, good or bad, not for a flipant remark that he is probably aware of anyway.

There is a place in the market for lower grade engines, just as there are places for the spec'd up, gold plated custom screamers, otherwise ASP and other manufacturers would not be around. This is a call the purchaser has to make when they decide to buy a particular engine.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned an ran ASP engines from the very smallest to the biggest 180, all have performed as intended, some even better than I ever expected.

Sometimes you get alot more than you pay for
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 AM
thailazer

Thank You all for the replies on your real experiences. I just checked out the ASP engines side-by-side with the OS and the ASP's look as good or some times better. There is a "cool factor" with the ASP's machining that is missing with OS so I am going to give it a try. My OS 35 AX has been "okay" but not nearly as good as my experience with the past FSR series engines so my allegiance to OS is just not strong enough to pay double price for the same thing. Onward Ever!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Jim Thomerson

I recently got a flea market ASP 46. I cleaned it up internally and ran it on Sig Champion 10% nitro 20% oil, half castor, half synthetic. No muffler. I ran it on an APC 12 x 6. It was late in the day and too dark for my tach. It was revving high enough to make my ears hurt, like in the old control line rat racing days. I was impressed. It seemed to throttle OK as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 AM
fordman1
Banned

I have used, seen used, and have repaired many ASP and Chinese Magnum engines and they don't hold a candle to OS or any of the Japanese engines. I also used to work for a company that distributed these engines and we had dozens of returns for poor quality. No returns of OS engines. The Taiwanese Magnums were OK but not up to OS quality. Those were made by Thunder Tiger. I still have a few Magnums but don't use them. Like I said, you get what you pay for.
ORIGINAL: Altered1

This comment is from experience ? What did you have and what went wrong ?

I can only speak from my experience, which is relatively positive for my one engine. The TS did ask for your experiences, good or bad, not for a flipant remark that he is probably aware of anyway.

There is a place in the market for lower grade engines, just as there are places for the spec'd up, gold plated custom screamers, otherwise ASP and other manufacturers would not be around. This is a call the purchaser has to make when they decide to buy a particular engine.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

After I had the liner peel on my OS .46 FX many years ago, I replaced it and the piston with an ASP .46 Piston and liner.
Dropped straight in.

The quality of the ASP items was far superior to that of the OS .46 FX. The engine performed better than ever.

So, my experience differs.

Never bought an OS since. Don't see the need.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM
jeffie8696

The issues Ihave had with ASP are carb, camshaft and valve related. My current ASP 46 has carb issues , Ican deal with it by some minor modification.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 PM
fordman1
Banned

You had ONE OS with a problem and I have dozens that never had a problem. Except a 46SF that I got used with a worn liner. I have no clue what the original owner did with it. It still has good compression and runs very well even with the brass showing through the nickel. As for Magnums, I've owned several and repaired dozens. Same with ASPs but I never owned an ASP for the simple reason they are hit and miss in the quality department.

If you need a four cylinder or seven cylinder four cycle then you better look at OS as no other major manufacturer makes them. As for a 5, your choice is OS or Saito. Same for a big twin.

Like I said, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:59 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Fordman

I have been flying glow, diesel and petrol since 1972.

How many OS engines would you know I have had? And how many issues?

You have your postion. Others have their own. Equally valid, as you have not been in their shoes.

Enjoy your engines,

Regards

Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 AM
thailazer

Hey, the last few posts have not been too helpful so you guys want to move to a private room? Only looking for actual ASP experiences.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You had ONE OS with a problem and I have dozens that never had a problem.

seven cylinder four cycle then you better look at OS as no other major manufacturer makes them.
Like I said, you get what you pay for.

You seem to be new in here, peeling OS engines have been discussed page up and page down before, there was alot more than your one incident.

And for a seven sylinder I`d much rather have a Seidel, but that`s just me

edit: Oops this wasn`t to helpful either, sorry about that[sm=red_smile.gif]

Anyway there`s thousands of happy ASP/Mag users out there and of course a few not so happy. For a person with basic mecanical skills and glow engine experience it is not a big deal to fix minor issues in the unfortunate event of getting one that needs some help to run right.

My most troubblesome engine ever was the OS .91 FX of the first production run, everyone now knows it was because of a badly designed remote needle, changed the carb and needle and Viola!! runs great now

Sometimes you get more than you pay for
Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 AM
carrellh

It seems every brand has fans as well as non-fans, and they sometimes like to argue.

My ASP 61 runs as well as any two stroke I've seen. I run my engines at half throttle quite a bit. My Thunder Tiger 61 tends to surge and blubber at half throttle where my ASP is very smooth. My OS 46 and Thunder Tiger 46 are also very smooth at half throttle. I experimented by putting the ASP carb on the TT and it made the TT run smoothly at all throttle settings.

Based on experience with Magnum (same as ASP?) four strokes, I think there may be some validity to the comments about inconsistency of ASP engines from one to the next. My brother and I bought a bunch of Magnum four strokes when Hobby People dropped the prices a few years ago. With the same fuel and prop, one .91 will turn 800-1000 rpm less that the others. Valve adjustment doesn't change anything. We've also had two or three break the crankshaft (pin for the rod). Global fixed them for free but it's no fun having an engine break while flying around.

> edit <
Based on my one TT 61 experience, I would not recommend it to anyone even though many people like them.

I think it's the same for ASP. I would recommend the 61 two stroke. I like the four strokes (61, 70, 91) pretty well but would prefer OS or Saito.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: carrellh

It seems every brand has fans as well as non-fans, and they sometimes like to argue.

My ASP 61 runs as well as any two stroke I've seen. I run my engines at half throttle quite a bit. My Thunder Tiger 61 tends to surge and blubber at half throttle where my ASP is very smooth. My OS 46 and Thunder Tiger 46 are also very smooth at half throttle. I experimented by putting the ASP carb on the TT and it made the TT run smoothly at all throttle settings.

Based on experience with Magnum (same as ASP?) four strokes, I think there may be some validity to the comments about inconsistency of ASP engines from one to the next. My brother and I bought a bunch of Magnum four strokes when Hobby People dropped the prices a few years ago. With the same fuel and prop, one .91 will turn 800-1000 rpm less that the others. Valve adjustment doesn't change anything. We've also had two or three break the crankshaft (pin for the rod). Global fixed them for free but it's no fun having an engine break while flying around.

> edit <
Based on my one TT 61 experience, I would not recommend it to anyone even though many people like them.

I think it's the same for ASP. I would recommend the 61 two stroke. I like the four strokes (61, 70, 91) pretty well but would prefer OS or Saito.

I am an OS engine lover from back in the Sixties. However, also from back in the Sixties, I have learned to love Enya and Super Tigre. I've never had an Enya that had any kind of problem. I had one Super Tigre (S-40K) that provided reliable, but lack luster performance. I've had one OS engine that peeled its liner (OS .32F) and an OS .61VF that gave me fits, but which eventually straightened out after lots of running.

I've had one Sanye made (Magnum .30 four-stroke) engine that would not idle below 3k rpm, but it ran fine in every other way. Out of well over a dozen Sanye made engines, that is the only problem that I have experienced with that brand. I have yet to wear one out. Would I rather have an OS? Yes. Then I would sell it and buy two or three Sanye engines.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
fordman1
Banned

And I have three of the magnum 30 four cycles. I bought two of them when Sheldon went out of business. I ran one and it wouldn't idle at all. The valves leaked. Nothing I did solved the problem. Sent it back to Hobby People. They agreed it was not fixable and sent it and another one back at no charge. I didn't even bother to try and run the new one or the other unused one I had as the other had lousy compression too..

I didn't even try to sell the first one on ebay as I didn't want some other guy to get stuck with it. All three are in a box in the basement. I solved the problem by using an OSFS26.

I also hve a Saito 30 that is an excellent engine. I use OS, Saito and Enya four cycles. Seidel is not what I'd call a major engine manufacturing company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.