RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do ARF's Belong in Warbirds?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Do ARF's Belong in Warbirds?

As a Contest Director that regularly host War Bird events at our Club here in Tampa Bay, my answer is: Yes. My reasoning is that a Warbird event is basically a fun fly. From a CD's point of few, I want to get as many pilots flying(most money coming in the gate) and attending as possible. I even allow foamies in my War Bird events. This is all to entertain the general public that helps pay for the event and prizes. We (our Club) gave about $500 worth of prizes that were bought by the Club, plus some minor gifts from local sponsers, that weren't anything but basically gift certificates. And to me, gift certificates aren't worth anything, due to maybe the winner doesn't shop at that store. I just hosted one two weeks ago, and due to extremely high cross winds, I only had 4 registered pilots, and two were foamies, and I am glad that they flew to entertain the general public. Normally, our event brings in at around 25 pilots. Financially, we broke even, even though we only had 4 registered pilots, due to gate and food sales. Even though there are plaques given out, it truly isn't a contest. If you want a true War Bird contest, then throw a scale event. Even Tiano is making concessions to allow ARFS, due to the economics of throwing an event.