RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Waco?
Thread: GP Waco?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Andy R Bush
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Waco?

I assembled the wings as per instructions and it went OK.But whenI attached the lower wing to the fusalage and tried thefairings I found they just gripped the wings nicely, so instead of glueing them to the fus, I glued them to the wing and they looked great. Obviously I could still get the wings off. That said I was able to keep the wings on allthe time,and get the plane in a truck bed no prob, which was just as well because they took ages to fit with all the struts and stuff.
Also with the cowling, I started to follow the instructions then noticed that the ring which attaches to the fusalage to which you screw the cowl onto, could easily be undone with the cowl in place. So I just glued the entire cowl / attachment ring together, which was quick and easy, then used a long reach allen wrench to get the cowl off and on. saved a lot of time and it madethe original design look too complicated.
My other suggestion is to add some other color on the plane to help with orientation. Just before mine crashed, it was coming directly at me and it was really hard to see with it being all yellow, which way up or which way it was going, if you didn't already know (or hoped you knew) what it was doing.
Mine seemed to need a surprising amount of airspeed for a biplane, and I was discussing that with my spotter, who said the Waco was built to be fast and not a floater, I had wanted a floater. Later I checked the on line video which also showed it wizzing around the sky.
The engine had gone sick straight after take off and got sicker still on final, I made the mistake of trying to keep altitude because I was near some trees and couldn't descend, when I stalled it, and from then on it ignored all control input and spiralled in. Nice looking plane though, but it was totally wrecked in the crash, but that's just a part ofthe hobby.