RCU Forums - View Single Post - Canon 40D
Thread: Canon 40D
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Momerath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Canon 40D

Hi All - I've been playing with an infrared R72 filter from Hoya fitted to a Canon 50mm 1.4 prime lens. As the sensors in digital cameras are protected by a filter toremoveIR light, using an IR filter to record IR images requires considerable exposure times, perhaps as much as 30 - 60 seconds. However, using the Canon 1.4 lens and a high ISO rating reduces times to about less than a second in good light. As described elsewhere on the Web, there are problems with focusing and with "hotspots" on some lens (including the Canon 50mm 1.4). To compound matters, the resulting images show a strong red or magenta bias which causes problems for post-processing. It's a wonder anyone bothers with the technique. Nevertheless, there are some fine and intriguing images to be seen and knowing how to capture them is always worthwhile.

I'm particularly indebted to Steaphany on this site for posts about a year ago on how to go about post-processing captured images. Until reading those posts I was struggling to get anywhere. The following image is the best of my first attempts and for anyone with a Canon DSLR and its associated DPP software here's a workflow.<o></o>

<o></o>