RCU Forums - View Single Post - CNC machine for hobby use?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CNC machine for hobby use?

One of the things that I like about the Shark is that it is a complete package except for the router. The Bosch Colt adds another $100. But once that is done, the only other investment you will need to really get going are router bits or mill ends. The controller is complete and the software to control and also to do basic design and toolpath creation is bundled with it. VCarve Pro is a very easy and fairly intuitive piece of software and separately sells for $600. One item that I purchased that made a big difference is a third party collet set for the Bosch. It made significant improvements in runnout which not only will improve accuracy of the cuts, but also reduce the risk of breaking smaller bits such as 1/16" or 1/32" mill ends. In the video, I used a 1/16" mill end. The collet replacements also give you greater flexibility to the bits you can use as they have not only a 1/4" replacement, but also a 1/8" collet. This allows the use of smaller bits and all the bits that are made for rotary tools like the Dremel. It also fits almost perfectly with your price range.

I've only had mine for a few months, and have not done anything more complex than the items in the videos I've posted on youtube, but with a package like solidworks and 3dcut, you can then start cutting out 3d parts that can be directly used, or used as a plug for a fiberglass molds or vaccum forming. Of course, you can do the same with the home built madhines, 3dCAD software and Mach software. Mach also does give you more options for toolpath control than VCarve. But VCarve allows for design within the program itself or the import from other CAD apps which lets you get going pretty much right out of the box.

One think that I did find is that when cutting thicker material, there is enough flex in the basic Shark to affect the results. Also, what seems at first to be an ample cutting area starts to feel a bit small over time. Also, the documentation for the machine and controller is not the best, but there's a Shark forum where one can find pleanty of help and the support for the VCarve sofware is good. If you want, you can download a trial version of VCarve to try.

I do think that in the future I'll be looking into building a larger machine. This will have to meet space and financial considerations. More pressing to me is saving up for purchasing Solidworks. As I said before, I do use Corel Draw and have Alibre as well, but none of the lower cost 3d CAD programs will allow me to import 2d dxf or dwg files to be used as the basis of a 3d objects. Alibre will, but only for geometric objects and not splines used to confine lofts. I have a lot of time and research invested in some 2d drawings I would like to use as a starting point rather than trying to reproduce them accurately in 3d space.