RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk about servos - Whatever is on your mind
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Saburo Sakai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's talk about servos - Whatever is on your mind

First, thank you for starting thisthread on these fascinating little powerhouses!
In a Spektrum transmitter manual under "servo precautions" it states: "never lubricate servo motors or gears".
I live on the Gulf Coast where salty air eventuallypenetrates through the walls of our houses. Despite taking precautions to protect my birds,corrosion on all things metal is inevitable. What's your take on a drop of LPS-2 on the shaft of the servo? One bird of mine, a microT-28 PZ, took a brief salt water bath in the bay courtesy of a gust and my ineptitude. I dried her, sprayed a light blast of water-repelling LPS-1 on the circuit board, wiring and anything metal, and put a drop of LPS-2 on the prop motor shaft and the servo motor shafts andthey've performed flawlessly for a total time now of maybe a half hour of actual operational "go" time. By the way, these tiny micro-servo motorsare something altogether brilliant. They must use nanobots to make them! So tiny!
I apply any lubricant sparingly and would stop short of having any motor swimming in lubricant, of course. If there were some preventative shield that prevented the salt ion from bonding in the first place, that'd be great-a teflon barrier or something.Then again, there's the wiring and circuit boards. Thoughts? Again, thank you for this thread venue! Godspeed!