RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*
Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: [Deleted]

Progress... sweet Progress.....

After laying up the Canopy frame, right vertical stab and exhaust nozzle molds, I separated them, then trimmed the edges.

Then i popped the canopy frame plug out of the mold. The plug stuck in the mold around the frame "hoops" and along the bottom edges, so the plug received some damage to the litho detailings, but the mold came out great, so I can make up another plug by laying doing a thick layup of glass if I had to:

A close-up of the forward frame hoop area:

After trimming the Vertical stab and exhaust nozzle mold halves, the TE vertical stab parting planes were re-installed, then everything waxed and PVA'd. Ready for the 2nd halves to be molded up:

Then a few hours later (10), the 2nd half of the vertical stab and exhaust nozzle molds were finished being laid up:

Tomorrow's plan:
Trim the mold halves, wash the amine bloom off, then clamp the halves together till its ready to make parts. Then get the other vertical stab readied in its parting plane so it can be molded next week. I've got to start doing some packing of stuff in the shop to prep for the move, but if I can steal some time this week to get the over wing fairings and parting planes built up, I'll get those molded as well.