RCU Forums - View Single Post - mvvs 1.60 gasser
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Patriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 1.55 vs MVVS 1.60

OK, here goes. I am about to tick off some people and make others happy. But first of all let me say I have wayed all options and this is quite possibly the best decision for me.
I looked at the Saito 150 & Enya 155 initially for my next project. I looked at the weight of the engines and max horsepower output. They are both rated at 2.5 HP. Secondly, they both cost around $400.00 new w/shipping etc. And of course $16.00/gallon of fuel +accessories etc is pretty steep.
The new MVVS 1.60 Red Head costs the same, even a little cheaper than a new Enya. And, it's rated at 3.8 HP!!! WOW!!! And it runs on GAS!!! WOW!!!
Granted, it is a few ounces more, but I think well worth it. And with that much power, I don't see why it can't be made to drive the plane 3D as long as it is not a flying tank.
I don't know if 3.8 HP is accurate, but that is what they claim in the specs for the new Red Head design.
I talked to the guy at Morris Hobbies, and he said it would blow a Saito and Enya out of the sky in performance, but not quite as strong the O.S. 1.60 2-cycle glow.
I don't know, I could be wrong, but I think that the gasser in this class is the way to go.
I love Glow engines, don't get me wrong, but I do believe they are not the wave of the future for RC.
I can see in the near future, 4-cycle gassers replacing the glow 4-cycles as the gas technology is growing by leaps and bounds.
Even gas rotary engines are not too far off.

Just my penny's worth.

Patriot.