View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Building a Tiporare .40

ORIGINAL: Kenneth Paine

Chino,

Very nice work on the Tiporare and the Curare on the other thread.

Regarding your work lightening the cores: Te volviste chino!

Kenneth
(Arjo in the UK)
Good one Kenneth! Or otherwise said in good old Argentinian lingo... "che, sos un loco!" Having an Argentinian sister, I'm allowed to say all sorts of things...

Actually, I'm really curious to find out how much that wing and stab end up weighing. I might just have to build a set without lightening holes to see how much more they weigh. Diego, what sheeting thickness did you use - 1.5 or 2.0 mm? I was thinking of using 1.0 mm (1/32 in) and full sheeting epoxy to see if they would end up about the same. It would be an interesting experiment.

Diego, you might have seen another technique where the control surfaces are "rubber hinged" to the surface using 1/32" ply temp hinges. It keeps the control nicely aligned and already hinged to the surface while you sand it to taper. This results in a gapless hinge line requiring you to only open up the hinge pocket in the control to accept the hinge bearing. I like using hinge points (e.g., Robart or GP) as they are easy to install but they require a U-notch in the control for the bearing. Either way, they produce gapless hinge lines - no need to "seal" the hinge line after finishing. Just some other ideas...

David.