RCU Forums - View Single Post - Homemade large scale buggy (1/5)
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 AM
mikula_os

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Homemade large scale buggy (1/5)

Here are some photos of parts and assemblies.
This project had many changes because of bad design or miscalculation so I will try to point to that stuff.
That may help someone to not make same mistake.
That doesn't mean that i will be posting only bad stuff

First idea for transmission was system with two belts. That was bad idea!! Engine has just to many torque.
Tiny XL belt didn't survive first test drive

Very soon i had to replace it with chains and sprockets

First set of wheels were from ebay for some rock crawler. They couldn't carry weight so I installed a valve and filled it with compressed air.
That was bad choice because at that time buggy was over 10kg weight and was very unstable with those tires.

After couple of test drives realized that it needs bigger rear wheels, wider rear track and that I need to get rid of inflated tires.
Those small rear wheels were poking me in eyes. I bought some real tires for rear and did something that bring amazing increase in stability:
took a visit to local furniture manufacturer and got piece of hardest foam that he had. I made inserts tvice as big as originals and somehow stuffed it into tires.
Result was amazing! Wheel is enough firm to carry vehicles weight and still soft to deform as needed.
I also changed rear suspension, increased rear end ground clearence and changed driveshafts.
First try was to increase length of driveshafts by cutting them and put into tube adapters. Bad idea.
To much vibrations and too much torque and weld couldn't hold.