RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kudos to Jet Central
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Kudos to Jet Central

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

While there is merit in what you're saying, I think you are missing a key point. Though I welcome competition, I can't afford to purchase one of every new brand that comes out just to subsidize it.
Speaking only for myself, I am ''brand loyal'' because I have sense enough to stick with what works for me. Should I get adventurous enough to spring for brand X and it doesn't work out, I'm screwed. I can't afford to keep buying turbines until I find a good one. Buy a turbine, run it once and see how much you can sell it for. A hell of a lot less than you paid for it.
Picking the wrong turbine is expensive in other ways too, even if it runs OK. I've heard way too many stories of turbines that were running fine being sent in for their 25 hr. service, only to incur $800.00+ bills. I'm not wealthy and I fly too much to open myself up to that kind of nonsense. Lifetime warranty, service agreement, whatever you want to call it, makes this hobby as affordable and predictable as it's ever going to get. That having been stated, the main reason I welcome competition is that it keeps Eric and the guys at the factory on their toes and ensures that my next turbine from them will be that much better. Brand loyalty will NOT kill this hobby. There will always be multiple brands, each with it's own loyal following.
These brands will continue to raise the standards by which turbines are judged. Any newcomer brand had better be damned good or very inexpensive to last any amount of time in the marketplace. As far as the ''very inexpensive'' angle is concerned, I suggest reading the JetJoe thread elsewhere.
I've recently been helping a fellow flyer get ready for his waiver test. His turbine is a Kingtech. It is bulky, heavy and not as user-friendly out of the box. It runs fine, however, and is priced lower than the competition. Five years from now, Kingtech just might be a major player in the RC turbine market. Meanwhile, I'll stick with what works for me.
There are many people in RC that buy things of all brands. When one isn't as good as another's "favorite" there isn't anything positive put forward to try to help improve brand X....There is only..."That's just junk anyway", "My brand isn't like that" etc.....

I just hope those in RC that have children aren't rearing their children the way they post on RCU. And, we wonder why kids are so screwed up now days.