RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Gas Engines a Fad?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Is Gas Engines a Fad?

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

DLE Still needs Ignition, And Ignitions Fail!
Also spark plugs, glow plugs, batteries, switches, servos, ESCs, fuel tanks, lines, pumps, diaphragms and anything else created by man. Over the years I have have had most everything fail at some point. I just lost my nice new plane due to an ignition problem. Wouldn't have been a problem if I wasn't in a hurry to fly the plane and checked it out better. The problem was a small split in the spark plug cap/cover and it was arcing a spark from the cap to the ground strap. I knew something was wrong but made the wrong decision to fly with a crappy running engine anyway. I discovered the problem at home on my bench when I was going through the engine. Ignitions aren't really any problem or more of a problem then anything else. They don't fail very often. In my case I should have inspected the engine better before flying. The engine was in a plane that had a nose over on landing and the spark plug hit the ground causing the tear in the cap. Again, my bad.
In this thread I have seen the statement that gassers were harder to operate then a glow engine. I would like anyone that stated this to please tell us what the difference is? The carb has two needles, a high and low just like any good glow engine. Are these needles too hard to figure out?? You twist them, when you do the engine either runs better or worse. If worse you twist them the other way. The ignition? It has a battery and switch, a spark plug wire and sometimes a ground strap. Is this a brain teaser for people. An electric motor and ESC is more complicated. Glow engines go dead stick if the operator doesn't understand those two needles. They aren't a great mystery, you just twist them until you get it right.
Gas for giant scale planes? I have now got to see some huge planes flown with electric both from land and off the water. I like all three power sources myself. Gas and glow presents me no problems but I haven't gotten into electric enough to figure them out. That's why at the bottom of the header is a web site called wattflyer. I get all my electric help over there. Pick the power source you like and be happy. I have gone to the field with planes powered by all three and had fun flying all of them.