RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Gas Engines a Fad?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is Gas Engines a Fad?

I use gas and glo. I have flown electric and appreciate the guys who fly them if that is what they like. I enjoy watching them for about ten minutes and then get bored out of my mind, as simple as my mind is... I would probably get out of the hobby if all I had was electric but, I enjoy building so I might continue to build. I have had great luck with both the glow and gas. Yes the glow requires a little more clean up than the others but that is not a big issue if you have it tuned correctly or the exhaust positioned properly. I am for the most part gravitating away from glo to gas but that is only because I keep building larger planes and fly the smaller ones much less. As for the folks that complain about constantly adjusting their glo engines, I only adjust mine once a year and sometimes on the rare occasion twice if I fly at opposite temp extremes. People keep telling me about the power of electric and while it does have power for a very few minutes, I have yet to see one that convinces me they are superior to glo or gas. In fact some of the videos I've watched, the owner actually had to put in a sound board of some type to give the plane an engine type sound. In fact while I do see some at the clubs in my region, they are still very much in the minority except for smaller foam planes, and some electric powered gliders. In this region it seems electric use is becoming somewhat static in growth compaired to a couple of years ago. Unfortunately glo use seems static in that the growth is not there and it actually may be shrinking slightly currently to gas. Gas however, whether good or bad, seems to be the type of power that has the most growth in the region where I live.

My views are a personal choice and I certainly don't want to impede in any way the growth of the model airplane hobby. And would like to see it grow across the board, so to those of you that want to use electric,,, more wattage to you.