RCU Forums - View Single Post - Going electric!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Per Strommen

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Going electric!

Time for testing:
Using a servo tester and 4.8V battery the unit was struggling. It barely lifted the leg and sometimes stopped. I noticed the T-bar would sometimes have more friction on one side, and rotate out of the 90 degree angle it is supposed to have to the screw. This would increase friction and to a point where the motor stopped. I changed to the airplane power system, running on A123 cells 6.6V and the retracts seemed do operate as advertised. Success!
Mounting electric retracts in the plane is easy, only one "servo" wire going from the unit to the receiver. Removing the old air(hydralic) hoses took longer.
Doors remain pneumatic for the time being as the speedbrakes and wheelbrakes also are air driven, I saw no need to change this. But I needed more delay on the doors as the electrics are slower than the previous setup. No sweat, just hit the "+" on the Jettronic Door-Sequencer. But no, I could not get the required 12 second delay no matter how many resets and +pushings I did. This fiddling took the gear through approx 40 cycles and the left leg started to act up. It would stop half way every time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71041.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1711596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97677.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1711597