RCU Forums - View Single Post - To flap or not to Flap. That is the question
Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM
frogwalking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To flap or not to Flap. That is the question

I have a nice big package of wood, mostly that is said to be buildable into a Telemaster 40 electric. I jumped in, sort of like the woman who buys her new outfit two sizes too small to provide encouragement to lose 20 pounds. I bought radio, motor and all so it will hurt if I do not follow through. I have built many airplanes since ny 14th birthday, nearly 50 years ago, but few flew without a control line attached, or a rubber motor. I could never afford the control system.I have decided time is wasting and it is now or never. My question is, should I invest install the operating flaps, or leave them fixed and save the weight? I saw one build where they sawed holes in the solid control surfaces to lighten up the structure. Is that a good idea, since they will be covered anyway it might be. I am getting my crash testing in with a RC flight simulator so hopefully my thumbs will have some memory when the big moment comes. I hope to have an experienced pilot check it out, fly and trim it the first flight, then stand by to grab the transmitter if necesary.

Thanks for the input.

Frog.