RCU Forums - View Single Post - I'm a Newby Again
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I'm a Newby Again

ORIGINAL: jlander

I've been out of the hobby for 20 years. I bought a fixer-upper on Craigslist and am ready to install my receiver. When I built my last model, mixing was either mechanical, or if you were really slick, you used a Christy Mixer. I still got one in my toolbox. Now it is all done in the radio and I am not sure the best way it all up. I have a 6 channel radio and will be using 5 channels (throttle, elevator, rudder, ailerons, and flaps). My ailerons are using 2 servos and the manual says to plug one servo in the aileron channel and one in the flaps channel and them mix them in the radio...but then, what do I do with the flaps? I'd really like the actual flaps to be on the variable flaps channel. The other channel is either on or off. Can I use that one for the ailerons? I hate to sound stupid, but what happens if I use that channel and then flip the switch? Does my model fall out of the sky?
It would help if you indicated which model transmitter and receiver you have. It all depends upon the programming included in the transmitter.

The simplest method would be to connect a Y Harness to the Aileron channel on the receiver and then connect each Aileron servo to the Y Harness. This would allow you to connect Elevator, Rudder, Flaps, and Throttle, to their respective channels.

Despite the fact that the Gear channel is assigned a two position switch, it is usually a proportional channel. If you have sufficient programming in the transmitter, you could mix the Aileron and Gear channels, for Dual Ailerons, and Inhibit the Gear switch.

Some transmitters have a Wing Type or Tail Type program that allows you to choose Dual Ailerons. Others require the use of a Programmable Mixer program. You could most likely use the Gear channel as the second Aileron half.