RCU Forums - View Single Post - Possible project/conversion: Stihl FS50E
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Possible project/conversion: Stihl FS50E

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

You will find that the power will be low for the weight of that engine. However, it might be good on a floater like a Cub or a Telemaster.

The Walbro WT-499 is made for use with methanol, but at 11 mm venturi it is a touch big for a 16cc engine. You might try a carb from a Ryobi trimmer. They are small, but probably larger than what you have, and they are usually Walbros. If necessary, (and it might be), you can enlarge the passages to double the area in the carb. (Double the area, not the diameter.)

Another option would be to go Gas/Glow, in which case most carbs will flow enough. Look up the ''Gas/Glow How To'' thread, and read the first two posts for info on that.

Good luck,
AV8TOR
If I was going to use it on anything, it would be an airboat if I use it on anything at all besides the test stand. I just know keeping the ignition on it would require keeping the shroud on it which defeats any weight savings possibilities. The crankcase is huge compared to my ST S90, but displacement-wise its real close. I figured this thing should ought to run pretty well anyway.

The walbro WT26 I have came off a 30cc or so string trimmer. The venturi on that is about 1.4mm larger than the Teikei that came on the engine. I'll have to tear it apart and see it can be made to work with methanol. Otherwise I have one more Walbro carb that has two mixture needles on it that is off of something 30cc or larger. I'll have to find it and get the number off of it. Worst case scenario, I have a 30cc homelite that has twin mixture needles I could pirate to try..

I'll go re-read the gas/glow section. I read through the whole thread sometime last summer but I'll refresh my memory some.