RCU Forums - View Single Post - To flap or not to Flap. That is the question
Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
N52961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To flap or not to Flap. That is the question

Frog:

<o></o>

A TeleMaster is a real floater of a plane. Flaps will look cool but:

1 – Are your skill sets good enough to take your hands off the controls and operate the flaps?

2 – Are you planning on using a VARIABLE flap or a STEP SWITCH flap or a ONE POSITION switch flap?

3 – Flaps other than looking cool – Which YOU will be staring at trying to see how cool they LQQK, DON’T CRASH – Fly the Plane.

4 – Cutting holes – Know as LIGHTING HOLES [as in light weight] is acceptable BUT – QA TeleMaster is light in weight to begin with. Either way would work. The extra weight of the servo or servos is very minor. Personal opinion here: I feel a heavy TeleMaster is a better flyer. They FLOAT too much.

5 – Since you are building time on a Simulator I gather you are low in experience. I reflect back to item #1. And would say – Scrap the idea of flaps. OR build them in now but DO NOT USE THEM until the skill level is beyond SOLO … And watch the plane, not the flaps.

<o></o>

I have a lot of stick time teaching with TeleMasters’ – They are a learning plane – Float like crazy – Land VERY slow. So slow it makes landing a little difficult. Why? Because beginners Flair HIGH, and do not pull the nose up high enough to get the wing to stall. Flaps only make LEARNING harder.

<o></o>

Barry