RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread
Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Heterodox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Hi there. First post, first boat.

I just received my MHZ No Mercy hull and Scorpion 7050/340 motor. Still waiting on HobbyKing to delivery the 53mm jet drive (MHZknockoff), which should be here next week (gulp!).

Anyway, these are big, big toys (13 HP continuous!) and I'm a little uneasy with my flex-shaft knowledge.

I am assuming that Ican simply go Jet(8mm collet)->1/4" flex shaft->Motor(10mm collet) and call it good... but maybe not? For starters, Ican only find 10mm/.250"couplers in the set screw variety, and I've been told these wear the shaft out much quicker.

Also, do Iactually need a stuffing tube w/ teflon liner since I'm not running the shaft through the hull?Part of me says I don't, and part of me says the flex-shaft needs a tube as a guide so it doesn't whip.

This hull is massive and I'd like to set the motor back at least 12 inches from the jet for a good COG, but thats quite a long shaft to run such power.

Part of me just wants to laser align and use direct coupling, but I'm aware of how quickly that can get stupid.

Thoughts?Ideas?Pitfalls? Idon't want to snap flexes and rip couplings off on my first go. =]