Thread: Test Stand
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Test Stand

OK here is my new test stand.

The stand I got turned out to be more heavy duty than I had thought, which was nice!

From the pics on the site I got it from, it looked like just a flimsy, rusty old 28 ga. sheet metal stand.

Also the pics on the site made it look like the stand had rust on it. Turns out the stand is fully galvanized and rust free. No need for paint!

The stand is constructed out of 14 ga. sheet metal. The stand was made for mounting bench top power tools.

I weighed the stand and it came out to 25 pounds. This means I can break in motors under 4 HP and not worry about having to tie the stand down.

For 4 HP and over engines I'm thinking about digging a hole and placing an eye bolt welded to a metal frame in the hole then filling the hole in with concrete. I can then place the test stand directly over the eye bolt and run a twin hooked ratchet strap from the stand's frame to the eye bolt and ratchet the stand to the ground with 200 pounds of force.

One nice thing about this stand was that it had a mesh of bolting holes on the top. I easily bolted my old break in stand to one side for quick bolt downs of glow engines.

The other side has a 10x5 wood plate for mounting large engines.

I'm also thinking of making a universal 4x4 stand off plate for the 5x10 plate that will take electric and other engine mounts like a side mounted glow engine with a Pitts muffler.

This little $25 stand turned out to be well worth the 130 mile trip I had to take to get it. I wouldn't have bought it but the stand was located next to a huge outlet mall that my wife likes to shop at. I told my wife I was going to take her shopping at the outlet mall. Then later I told her I had to stop by a guy's house on the way there to pick up something.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88017.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	1747773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44795.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	1747774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67708.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	165.6 KB