RCU Forums - View Single Post - My suggestion to increase pattern participation
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM
danamania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My suggestion to increase pattern participation

ORIGINAL: MTK
Let's see....going from memory here, one loop, one roll, a stall turn, a split Ess, an Immelman turn and a couple 45 degree lines, one climbing the other diving. One box exit and one re-entry. Did I forget anything critical? Oh yeah, all of the 1/4 and 1/8 looping elements that make entries/exits smooth and graceful...
Please let's be precise, here is some of what the noob has to do:

Takeoff and call that complete
Establish a downwind leg at a correct distance to fly the sequence while remaining in the box. Misjudging distance here is problematic...
Execute first turnaround to return on the correct heading to enter the box, most likely a Rev half Cuban 8
Enter the box / call it out
Straight & level
Reverse half Cuban 8
Straight flight back
Stall turn without rolls
TWO INSIDE LOOPS, whew!
Exit box / call it / rev half cuban 8
Re-enter box on correct heading / distance to stay in the box / call it
2 point roll
Half Cuban 8
Double-I, no rolls
Immelmann
45 downline
Exit box / call it / rev half cuban 8
Re-enter box on correct heading / distance to stay in the box / call it
Upline on center
Split S
Roll
Rev half Cuban 8
Cobra without rolls
Exit box / call it / establish downwind leg for landing
Line up on final / call landing
Land and complete roll-out without a heading change (delay that urge to taxi towards pits, oops)!

With all due respect, its a lot for a newcomer to put together in a flight. Please keep in mind that the Sportsman has one entering and leaving the box 3 times in total, counting TO & landing. Not complaining here, but please let's keep in mind that this is quite a workload for those new to Pattern, especially for those coming from clubs or situations where nobody flies pattern and experienced coaching is hard to get. In reality, just reading the sequence as it is currently formatted is a challenge! In any case, lots of good discussion on this thread and I thank all for humoring one new to the sport from last season. I look forward to competing in a few meets this season and building my skills. Respectfully, Dana