RCU Forums - View Single Post - No lift(after long headache) 450 Clone
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No lift(after long headache) 450 Clone

ORIGINAL: TakeshiSkunk

I suppose I should count my blessings, I'm one of three with a handful of other guys getting into it as well. Still, I only just joined a club this year and was on my own starting out. Helis are kind of a big scary confusing mess to look at before you're more familiar with them. Honestly I'm still not crazy about having to do setup work and I'm glad I have some experience near me to refer to.
Im actually a member of 2 clubs. My primary club, I am the only heli pilot. I joined the 2nd club because there were a few heli pilots there. Actually the 2nd club is a smaller club and the majority of guys there are primarily into helis.

However, I havent gotten any help from the 2nd clubyet because this 2nd club for me...is pretty much a 2nd club to all the members. Just a nice place to fly that is close for most of the guys when they cant get to their primary club.

Its just been bad timing that I couldnt get there enough last year when the others were there for me to really learn anything, yet. I hope that changes this year, butIve not even been to this clubs fieldthis year. Plus its further away for me than myprimary cluband I only go on the weekends we are camping (its really close to my campsite...like 10 minutes away). Its just hard to really get any help with setup and heli theory at the field when everyone wants to be flying and not working on things (myself included).

Ive said it before...the cost of a crash doesnt bother me as much as the time needed to do repairs and do setup again. Right now I have a bad bearing somewhere in the head(or possibly bearing block)of my 450 and I cant find the time to tear it down and find the culprit. I have a new head assy and bearing blocks, and I cant even find the time just to do a swap out as I know that it wont just be as simple as swapping out the head. I'll still have to do tweaking and blade tracking etc...

At least with airplanes...you know that you can fix/repair the damaged area/parts and there really isnt any more setup involved. Not saying I like helis more than planes...I think I like them both pretty equally...although helis give me a lot more adrenaline rush when trying to fly them.