View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Radio choice

ORIGINAL: trike_flyer

Hello All

I also know that I want a futaba radio because most of the info for max range on the differant types of radios say they have the longest range. My opinion is if I get a radio that I can fly my plane farther than I can see it then it will be safer when I go behind an object while flying. More wave= less chance of signal loss.

Hi TF, I beleve you are basing your choice entirely on your flawed assumptions above and making your choice of systems entirely on that assumption is not in your best interest. First and most important All five of the major's will be very similar in max range if you compare apples to apples. In other words you cannot compare a limited range park flyer Receiver to a full performance receiver and all the majors have and do produce limited range park Receivers.

Actually maximum usable range at best is almost imposible to ascertain anyway. Also line of sight blockage of a signal by an object is not a function of range as you suggest. One example of object blocking of a signal is when we do cross country flying either 72 or 2.4, we fly from the back of a moving open pickup. We have to be very carefull sitting low in the bed that we do not lower the transmitter to low in our laps or the sides of the pickup blocks the signal and we lose control every time untill raising the Tx. This has nothing to do with range of the individual brand of radio system.

I am not even gonna say what brand I fly and train the fellows with because these types of threads always kinda turn into typing contests and thats pointless for me.

I just wanted to say you need to base your choices more on system capabilitys and help you may require in hands on use of those systems from your mentors.

John[8D]