RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves

I would definitely get an inexpensive set of jeweler's files; very handy. Can't stress enough how useful files are.

Taps /dies? I echo what the other fellow said the smaller sizes require some patience. I use whatever is needed so I have everything
from 00-90 up. I use quite a bit of 0-80, 1-72, and 2-56 screws / miniature bolts in my hobby work. The really small sizes are very fragile.
Very important is the proper cutting lubricant!

An Xacto saw is very handy. Of course Xacto knives, goes without saying really.

Starrett Piano wire cutters are like having a miniature shear in your hands; very useful. An array of pliers is a must as well as a proper set
of screw drivers including jeweler's sizes. Miniature nut drivers I find indispensable....

A pin vise is a useful tool.

General purpose pin punch sets. I make my own fine punches from piano wire; indispensable for removing the small pins in many of our model transmissions / gearboxes.
Small ball pein hammers. Of course a vice and a supply of blocks rods and such to form shapes on. A small bending brake and shear such as sold by Micro-Mark; really a copy
of the enormously expensive Swiss made Profi...

Several good steel straight edge measuring implements; metric and SAE.

Not really a hand tool but a good VOM is essential.

Again not a hand tool but one of the miniature cut-off saws such as sold by Harbor Freight is a boon to any model making shop. For a second
opinion on that just ask Rex Ross!

Jerry