RCU Forums - View Single Post - Midwest Wood Products
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Wood Products

At one point in time Mid West had products but like most kit cutters they are long gone. When I need a piece of wood I would go to Michale's Craft store and buy a piece of Mid West wood, pay through the nose for it too. It is usually just something I needed to finish a scratch builds. There wood is also almost as hard as hard wood so I like it for different things in a build.
HOWEVER, in no way would I ever go to a hobby shop to buy my wood for a build!!! I buy in bulk from places like Lone Star Balsa, I started using National Balsa now days. My last build LS didn't have everything I needed so I gave National a try and they are now my go to company. Is everything cut exactly to size?? I don't know, I have never measured it. It is however some very good wood and I will be placing an order this week with them but tomorrow I will be going to Hobby People and Hobby Town to buy a little wood so I can keep building while I'm waiting on my order, about 3 days until it is at my door.
Things have changed over the years, some good, some bad. At this point in time I'm not going to worry too much about a silly millimeter or two but yes, it is a rip off. I also cut a lot of my own wood, hardwood stringers and even balsa, You can buy balsa in 2X4 planks and cut your own, I do but I belong to a great wood working club with nothing but the best of equipment but a good table saw will do the job for most people.