RCU Forums - View Single Post - electric outboard for tunnel hull
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 AM
siberianhusky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electric outboard for tunnel hull

Hyperperformance makes a couple lower units.
Fuller, , OS, K&B.
O.S is what I'd go for, the way they are built gives you many, many more tuning options over any of the others.
K&B weighs a ton unless you are willing to take a bandsaw to it and remove a pile of material that makes up the exhaust part of the motor. Also limited to the adjustability built into the mount. The design goes back to the 80's without many changes, there are quite a few more modern options out there. If you are going to spend the money might as well get newer technology.
A buddy of mine if running a Fullers unit, I really don't like the mount, massive PITA to adjust without taking things apart. Would be a good unit with a different mount.
K&B you're pretty much stuck with the 2 way adjustable Du-Bro mount, problem with this is really the angle adjustment, you are changing the pivot angle when you change the tilt which can cause running problems in the turns. The OS you can adjust the motor angle independent of the pivot pin giving the motor a flat arc through it's turning radius.
The K&B also really limits you in prop size because of the fixed cavitation plate, electrics can turn more prop than the nitro engine.
Stay away from the TFL chinese units, small diameter non standard flex shaft, good luck finding spares! They are about the cheapest out there, look really nice, BUT....not good for a powerful brushless motor.