Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

electric outboard for tunnel hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

electric outboard for tunnel hull

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 PM
fatbill69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric outboard for tunnel hull

Just a quick question. What electric outboards are popular to use with a tunnel hull? I've never seen an electric tunnel (I mostly do nitro), but I have seen on the internet the Kyosho Dolphin outboard, Graupner GTX 800, and a Fuller's lower unit with a motor on it. So what do the pros use?
-Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 AM
fatbill69

Default RE: electric outboard for tunnel hull

Anyone? There has got to be someone on this site that does electric tunnel hulls!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:57 AM
F1madness

I use the OS lower leg with the adapter from OSE or kintec.kintec racing also sells the bullet drive
the kyosho,graupner are a pile of junk personally and spares are hard to get so wouldnt bother the fullers leg is ok but you need the dubro mount otherwise its a ball ache to adjust
Kintec racing the best bet check them out
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Chynewalker

Pro Boat offers a complete outboard... relatively scale looking with good performance and parts availability...

Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&B lower-leg ... Hyperformance electric adapter-kit , and you'll be good to go (for smaller tunnels)

If they are bigger ... MHZ has an nice Mercury-outboard with a very decent pushing e-engine.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 AM
siberianhusky

Hyperperformance makes a couple lower units.
Fuller, , OS, K&B.
O.S is what I'd go for, the way they are built gives you many, many more tuning options over any of the others.
K&B weighs a ton unless you are willing to take a bandsaw to it and remove a pile of material that makes up the exhaust part of the motor. Also limited to the adjustability built into the mount. The design goes back to the 80's without many changes, there are quite a few more modern options out there. If you are going to spend the money might as well get newer technology.
A buddy of mine if running a Fullers unit, I really don't like the mount, massive PITA to adjust without taking things apart. Would be a good unit with a different mount.
K&B you're pretty much stuck with the 2 way adjustable Du-Bro mount, problem with this is really the angle adjustment, you are changing the pivot angle when you change the tilt which can cause running problems in the turns. The OS you can adjust the motor angle independent of the pivot pin giving the motor a flat arc through it's turning radius.
The K&B also really limits you in prop size because of the fixed cavitation plate, electrics can turn more prop than the nitro engine.
Stay away from the TFL chinese units, small diameter non standard flex shaft, good luck finding spares! They are about the cheapest out there, look really nice, BUT....not good for a powerful brushless motor.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Norman2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, If you go to the Offshore Electrics Forum you will find all the info you need for your tunnel boat. Regards
Norman2
ORIGINAL: fatbill69

Anyone? There has got to be someone on this site that does electric tunnel hulls!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM
fatbill69

Thank you guys. Great info. I wasn't able to find out anything about the new MHZ drive on the internet. Is that unit available to the public yet? Also, would you recomend the REK outboard leg?
-thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 AM
siberianhusky

The REK works. Really about all I can say about it, It has the same flaws the K&B does. Plus you have to still buy a mount for it and make up your own steering arms, whoever designed it made no provisions for steering!
You are limited with prop size once again, but you can fit a slightly bigger prop than you can on the K&B.
Also not sure if it uses an easily available flex cable and prop shaft, can't seem to find anything about that.
I'd strongly suggest whatever you buy has good parts support in the country you live in. You really don't want to get stuck waiting for the Chinese to supply parts. Could be a long dry summer!
Personally I'd go with Hyperperformace or an OS leg. Tested, known products with a great support base. K&B would be about my 4th choice, only reason it's that high is parts availability.
Until MHZ gets their North American retail stuff figured out you should buy from Germany, MHZ has admitted that MHZ US is not fulfilling it's role as distributer to their standards.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Vanguo88

I thought the steering arms on the REK is on the motor mount ?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:02 AM
siberianhusky

Weren't on the one my buddy John got in the spring, he had to make up a set, nothing on the motor mount he got.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for your information MHZ ended there relationship with MH$ two years ago i believe so dont buy anything from them.
Mart