RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Cessna 182 build
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
flightsimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Thanks Steve. Once I get my instrument, I will be starting on my commercial ticket but that will mainly be time building as I'm thinking about going part 61 instead of 141 which I have been doing so far. Then followed by CFI/II, multi engine and then MEI.

I have three intentions for this model...

1)
As for this model, I'm hoping to complete it looking somewhat like a scale 182t, the one I have about 15 hours in, however, there is a 4ft difference in length between a Q and a T model. I know some of it is from a lengthened cowling, but I'm not sure where the rest of it is from. I'm thinking about just making the cowl to scale length and leaving the rest of the plane as is. I looked at some photos of both at the same angles and everything appeared to be located in the same spots in relation to other things on the aircraft. For example, the wing strut is located at, lined up with, the forward door frame on both the Q and T models when viewed from the side. If I had access to an older 182Q I could do it properly, but I don't believe we have any on field. 

2)
 I also want to use this project to help me in preparation for my ultimate build dream which the idea can be see here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11053546/tm.htmFor that project, I want to do the same type of build you are doing with your 182 in being as detailed and scaled as possible.

3) 
The museum to which I belong to has multiple wood aircraft in restoration. One is a 1934 Fairchild 24-C8C and the other is a 1946 Funk Bros model B. In storage we have another Fairchild 24, only this one is a C8D model, of which only 10 were built. Everyone who has worked on either planes said that if you can build models you can restore these planes as its nearly identical in practice. And I want to restore that second and rare Fairchild 24-C8D... I figure this would get me into the ballpark where I could then learn the proper realworld techniques from the other members.

Here is a link to the page for our Fairchild 24.  You can see all the pics of it. It's all done wood wise and is ready to be plumbed for fluids, installation of the completed panel, covered in fabric which we already have received and the engine sent out for restoration and then installed. If all goes well, it could be flying by late next year. For the last 6 months or so, nota lot was done on it due to the main guy having to switch to work on recovering the elevators for our C-123. And now, instead of going back to workon it, he has to recover part of the fuselage of our l-21b super cub that was in an accident last year so it can get back in the air.