RCU Forums - View Single Post - The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 AM
cavery
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Hi guys

I'm new to the Yellow Spit game. First off I want to thank everyone who has posted here with information on thier builds. The pictures and experiences here have been very informative and inspirational. I am relatively new to building game. I have been in the hobby for about 3 years. Started out with ARFS, and currently buiding my first two kits (Top Flite Sea Fury & Spitfire), and the yellow Spitfire will be my first foray into a larger scale fiberglass kit. As soon as I complete the Top Flite kits, the Yellow spit is next on the list. My goal is to have them ready for next season.

I actually have two kits. One is a Century Jets Fuselage http://centuryjet.com/product_info.p...c72cacef46398f with a Yellow wing. The Century jets kit is the same Scale as the Yellow kit but it was designed as a MK 22-24 bubbletop. I will be converting it to a bubbletop MK XIV using the Yellow wing and custom built Rudder and Chads lightened Horizontal Stab.

The other kit is an older used Yellow kit that was already started by the previous owner (wing already built). As of now I plan on powering one with a new Saito 220 Black Knight, and the other with a 50 - 55cc gasser. The used kit I bought also came with a 45CC Supertigre g4500 nitro, which has plenty of power, from what I've read, but is a very VERY thirsty engine, so I haven't decided if I will actually give it a try or not. Originally I was going to convert it to diesel using a conversion kit from Davis Diesel Performance http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/home.php. Unfortunately, he no longer makes the conversion for this engine, I'm going to see if I can track one down, used maybe, I think it would be a fun project.

Well there's the background and an introduction. Sorry, for drawing it out

Once I begin, I do plan on posting my progress here. I will be starting with the Balsa tailfeathers for both planes.

I do have a few preliminary questions for those of you who already have experience.

1. The wing that I have that has been completed weighs about 10 lbs glassed, primed, and with the Yellow landing gear installed. Is that normal for the weight, or is that on the heavy side? I'm hoping the guy built it right. I have no idea if he did the wing strengthening mods and I haven't decided if I will "investigate" to see if he did.

2. The other wing is brand new, so I will be building that one myself. My question is, how do you guys feel about using waterbased poly and 3/4 oz cloth to glass the wing of a plane this size. I will be adding the wing strengthening mods, and I am hoping that will add the strenght I need, so that the WBPU methid will be good enough to give me a good surface for finishing. Otherwise, I thought about just using an epoxy based method at the joins for strength, and WBPU everywhere else.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.