RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flight instructor job description
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 01:59 AM
carps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flight instructor job description

Just to show you my background and the reasons for the approach we are using.

I was in the military and taught myself to fly RC in Vietnam, I have been involved in flying RC ever since and also in my professional life I am a qualified Adult Educator and have been involved in Training both Military and Civilian aircrew and maintenance from over 14 different countries and this not only assists in training but also brings different language and cultural aspects into play.

On with the story.

We have developed a training course that goes for two days (over a weekend). It is structured for the mornings to be used in the classroom. This is in an educational facility with use of overhead projector, computers, and internet access. The afternoons are done on the flying field.
The course is promoted as an Instructors course and workshop. The main thrust is to train the new instructors, however we use it to update older instructors with the newer techniques and we also allow observers (they are normally club executives to become aware of all the information that is now available) we use a discussion system where the main topics are covered and we not only provide the answers to the questions but we actually show references of where to find them in the future as technology and regulations change.

A key point is that the information being supplied is not only from those of us out the front but we provide different views and techniques from older (not necessarily age) instructors and during these sessions they hear from others on the course the challenges that are being seen at other clubs.

Following the classroom session we take them out to a field where they are required to instruct a student (normally someone else on the course acting the part) as if he was someone straight off the street and you needed to show them everything, safety, flight areas, keyboards, how the controls work, etc. They then start the aircraft and demonstrate a takeoff, circuit and landing using a buddy box. They are then required to allow the new student to fly the aircraft through a circuit. The aircraft is then landed and the instructor is required to debrief the student. This normally takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

During this phase I use the old instructors who are refreshing as assessors to assist me as the CFI.
The second flight on Day 1 is to prebrief the student in three flat maneuvers (Figure eights, inside and outside; procedure turns, circuits etc.). All maneuvers are done both left to right and right to left. Once as a demonstration and then with the student flying. This can be used with a buddy box or pass the Transmitter (the scenario is that the student is able to do the basics and will not be breaking your aircraft. After landing the new instructor is required to debrief the student on his performance. This is once again assessed.

Due to the fact that we bring everyone to a central location we normally have a BBQ on the Saturday night which promotes the discussion between all those from various locations and the teaching continues in a low key environment.

Watch for the next stage.