RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Evolution 10cc gas engine
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Speculating really goes no where. There will be those that will be first in line and report back with their experience. I will be waiting to see what the reports say. If good, I have some multi-engine projects that can use this engine. I'd like to see a 15cc too.
Edwin
I had been reading this thread merely from curiosity, but did come across something I hadn't seen yet. I have been in RC for 16 years, most of which dealt with stadium trucks and monster trucks (1/10th and 1/8th scale cars). Just recently I learned of a new 4 wheel drive monster truck from HPI coming with a 15cc Gasoline engine. If there is a 15cc gasoline car engine, an airplane engine in that displacement range can't be too far off. It hasn't been released yet, I believe its due out in the spring of 2013. The cylinder head of the engine looks SuperTigre-ish...

Here's a link to it for those that have any interest. http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2012121101/
Actually they have had 15cc and 17cc model airplane gasoline spark ignition engines out there for several years now. There are several brands of 15cc engines that one can get. I have a 17cc engine on a .60 size plane already myself too.Zenoa and Quadra brand engines were arguably the first production gas engines, for model airplanes,sold in quantity and they have been making engines for over 30 years now. I remember seeing Quadra engines way back circa 1982or thereabouts. Now then some companies made more modern 17cc engines though, and these can be drop in replacements for a .60 engine. The NGH 17cc engine is one example.

But for cars and boats, the engines were derived originally from small trimmer or leaf blower engines, so they used them in cars and boats with little modification. I remember seeing boats with gas engines being sold many years ago. I remember they used to have 1/4 scale car racing 20 years ago too. The cars were pretty much works of art and they used small gas engines in them. Now then radio controlled helicopters have been around for about 20 years or so with gasoline engines in them too.

But usually folks tend to gravitate to the 19cc or 20cc size gas engines to power their .60 size glow engine planes. Usually there isn't much of a weight difference between the 15cc and 20cc gas engines.

But there is a demand building for smaller gasoline powered engines. Fox started the trend with their announcement of a Fox .50 gas engine, but it apparently hasn't been released yet. Magnum announced a .52 and then stopped. NGH suddenly popped up with a 9cc engine that has gotten a lot of interest and they have sold quite a few so far. So it is nice to see Evolution having released a 10cc engine now too. The 9cc and 10cc engine sizes work well in .40 to .45 size planes. But they can power the smaller or more lightweight .60 size planes too.

Anyway I can see people wanting a small crankcase .36 or so displacement sized engine to fit into the .20 to .25 size planes too. Trying to go smaller than this becomes impractical unless we have a breakthough on making the CDI or transistor ignition modules smaller as well as a smaller ignition coil maybe.