RCU Forums - View Single Post - Back in the hobby. I want a good BL Truggy.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 AM
MGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Back in the hobby. I want a good BL Truggy.

Thanks for all the fast and helpful replys!! I knew I came to the right place.

I've looked into some of the options you guys listed for me and to be honest I'm leaning towards the ST4 G3. I don't really have a budget but I'm also not a pro racer. I have a Hobby town USA and a few nice local tracks to play around on. I don't really like the idea of converting..I see how it's probably by far the best performance with the best aftermarket to convert..but I don't want to go through the hassle of selling all the old nitro stuff I won't need on the kits..at least not just yet. I've done some research on the ST4 and it seems like a pretty good deal for the price. It has a low CG and looks to be laid out well. It's different thats for sure..I really dont like the body either. Knowing it comes with a 80A ESC it will only take 4S which is not what I originally wanted..but thinking back on my Savage Flux 4S, that was really fast still on 4S (much more manageable than 6S) and that was a 13+lb truck with the CG of a skyscraper compared to the ST4.. Since I have to re-buy a lipo charger + the lipos, I like the price tag too. Buying used isn't a route I'd like to take. I've done that before and it was hit or miss. I'm very meticulous with these things and getting a R/C with things like stripped screws was frustrating. Buying used was also a hit or miss unless it was a reputable member I talked with from time to time.

I've never Delt with Thunder Tiger before but I did once own the original Associated MGT with the flag body. I did like the truck after a few minor upgrades..If I remember right, Thunder Tiger was a lower quality branch of Associated? The ST4 seems to have most of the adjustments to get it going around a track well stock. Aftermarket wise, I'm not big into changing things unless its a night and day difference. I could see future upgrades (regardless of the kit) being things like: wheels/tires, shocks, gearing, diff/shock fluids, st servo, body, and maybe a few other very minor things. A pro kit is not something I really want and it seems my only options are to convert something high end and expensive or get the ST4.

More on the ST4 since its what I've done the most research on. I watched countless review videos and a few running videos. Do any of you guys own one of these or know anyone that has. I'm having a hard time finding anything really bad about it other than the typical 'you pay for what you get' Which I totally understand, TT is not a high end company from what I remember. Keep the info flowing! Oh and thanks again! I'm really excited to get back in the hobby!