RCU Forums - View Single Post - Simple redundant pwr. Battery + BEC.
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Simple redundant pwr. Battery + BEC.

Here's where I've currently ended up on the redundant HV RX power setup:

Jeti Mezon 90 ESC with BEC set to 8v (actually delivers 8.2 at minimal loads according to my volt meter and my RX telemetry) I modified a servo extension to tap off the pwr + gnd lines to a deans connector, signal for the throttle goes to the receiver normally. Deans connector goes to one of the two inputs on a Fromeco Wolverine switch. The other input on the wolverine comes from a 2S lipo as would be normal. I checked the wolverine and even with all outputs connected in parallel on the RX power bus, the input voltage sources are isolated (enough) from each other, about 1v leaks from the BEC input over to the battery input side and vice-versa, not enough for me to be concerned about the switching regulator fighting the battery. The wolverine's outputs all plug into the RX power bus. RX gets turned on first and all controls can be checked, etc. with power coming from the battery, when the main ESC is armed from the arming plug the wolverine switches over to drawing power from the BEC and the battery is just there as a backup.

The only thing I need to worry about is the potential for the BEC to fail and dump full 10S voltage onto the RX I'm looking at the CSM BECSafe to see if I can make that concept work for an HV system.

Peter+