RCU Forums - View Single Post - ATAK Zimmerit kit for Tiger I
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 AM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATAK Zimmerit kit for Tiger I

While doing a late Tiger I build, I opted to chicken out and use the Atak ZM-1603 ready-made zimmerit kit. http://atakmodel.istore.pl/en/product/view?id=12134706 I really like this kit, as it gives you a replacement mantlet, and also the vision ports - that shows a pretty good effort on the part of the manufacturer to make a complete kit, I think.

I ran into a problem with the pistol port on the left rear of the turret, however. The kit was designed to work with the Tamiya kit, although by the time zimmerit was introduced, the pistol port had already been deleted on the Tiger I. In the kit, the zimmerit sheet for the left half of the turret has a large round opening that fits this area. They DO give you a round piece of zimmerit that fills in this area, but try as I might, I could not find a way to make it look like anything other than a patch.

I wrote Waldemar at Atak, and requested that he consider making an updated part (without the hole) to cover this left turret side. He responded that he has already updated it, and was willing to send me a replacement part; which I received today. It is absolutely the perfect replacement, and I'm more than satisfied.

It's not very often that a manufacturer of anything leaves me feeling like they were willing to go the extra mile for a customer; but this one did and I wanted to share the experience with you folks. -Mike