Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ATAK Zimmerit kit for Tiger I

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ATAK Zimmerit kit for Tiger I

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 AM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATAK Zimmerit kit for Tiger I

While doing a late Tiger I build, I opted to chicken out and use the Atak ZM-1603 ready-made zimmerit kit. http://atakmodel.istore.pl/en/product/view?id=12134706 I really like this kit, as it gives you a replacement mantlet, and also the vision ports - that shows a pretty good effort on the part of the manufacturer to make a complete kit, I think.

I ran into a problem with the pistol port on the left rear of the turret, however. The kit was designed to work with the Tamiya kit, although by the time zimmerit was introduced, the pistol port had already been deleted on the Tiger I. In the kit, the zimmerit sheet for the left half of the turret has a large round opening that fits this area. They DO give you a round piece of zimmerit that fills in this area, but try as I might, I could not find a way to make it look like anything other than a patch.

I wrote Waldemar at Atak, and requested that he consider making an updated part (without the hole) to cover this left turret side. He responded that he has already updated it, and was willing to send me a replacement part; which I received today. It is absolutely the perfect replacement, and I'm more than satisfied.

It's not very often that a manufacturer of anything leaves me feeling like they were willing to go the extra mile for a customer; but this one did and I wanted to share the experience with you folks. -Mike
Old 03-01-2013, 12:49 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: ATAK Zimmerit kit for Tiger I

Waldemar is an excellent supplier, that is for sure. He listens to us in the 'big' scales and reacts fast. I have never had a single complaint on any of the large number of his zim kits I've sold.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

That is just one more reason for being a member of this forum, until I read Mike s letter I had not heard of ATAK, so a quick visit to their site and they have exactly what I have been looking for.  Thank you Mike, have a good one.   shaun
Old 03-01-2013, 03:40 AM
sevoblast

For anyone in USA, ETO has the entire Atak 1/16 Tamiya zimmerit line in stock.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:45 AM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am about to apply the same set on my tiger very soon. Parts already cut and ready. As for the opening, I was going to insert it, fill around it with putty and then use a screwdriver to form the zimmerit pattern.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 AM
streetsquid

Hi all,
Just my 2 cents, I bought the ATAK kit for my Elefant from ETO last year and absolutley fell in love with their products. It was top quality, scale thin, highly detailed and accurate, easy to work with and install, can easliy have battle damage added, and overall looks great once on the vehicle.

I'm totally sold on this as the only method of applying zim I would enmploy on my future builds. Now if we could just get Waldermar to manufacture the Daimler-Benz criss-cross pattern zimor even a waffle pattern for Stugs!

Squid
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM
sevoblast

You mean like this?

http://www.etoarmour.com/product_det...oductID=AT1609

http://www.etoarmour.com/product_det...ductID=AT16A01

http://www.etoarmour.com/product_det...ductID=AT16A02
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Ievil

Hi there! I just wanted to shae my recent experience with Atak models and Waldemar.
i am currently building a Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I, and I purchased the Atak zimmerit kit for my Tiger, and found that the top frontal armor plate was not included with my Atak kit, so I wrote an email, to Atak why this portion was not included in there set, so the email was sent,now fast forward about 2 hours, and I got a reply! It was Waldmar, apologizing and asking for my mailing address, I replied with the info he asked for, and fast forward again 1 week, and I received a parcel via priority express post, from Poland to Canada and I have complete zimmerit coverage for my Tiger, and all thanks to unheard of customer service.... Waldemar and Atak models is what make this hobby great!
Ps. I almost forgot to mention, that he not only sent the piece needed, but he included a blank sheet of 1/16 zimmerit, so that was 2 sheets in total! AWESOME!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 PM
torpedochief

Will this kit work on the Heng Long TIGER ?

Don
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes chief, it should work fine

Old 05-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Ievil

I would say yes, I mean the Heng Long & Tamiya are identical as far as I can see, and I have both, also, if there are some parts that might not line up perfect, this Atak product is easy to trim and there's a few extra pieces that can be patched inif needed, but I am going to say "Yes"!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:10 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is everyone so afraid of the zimmerit? I am getting ready to build a copy of one of those hybread tigers( from 1945)out of a tigen/wsn tiger 1 mix and I am going to do my own zim. You might run ino some issues using the ATAK on a hl tiger1. I am using a wsn turret and upper hull because the mistkes in the hl hurt my eyes.....I don't know if you can see it but here is an example of the differance in the gun mount....

the hl turret is also the wrong shape...that might be an issue....
Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 AM
Ievil

With the Atak set, you get a completely new resin manlet, anything can be custom fit, it all depends on how badly you want it to work.
And speaking for myself, I am not afraid of doing my own zimmerit, it is just a matter of time.... I just cannot be bothered spending all that time on zimmerit, when I can get a complete set from Atak, that looks as good as it does, for a decent cost, they also have some the best customer service I've seen in this hobby, and I'm sure if anyone would contact Waldemar at Atak, he would help make his product work/fit
Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i think i would like to try a kit sometime i did this Zimmerit for one of the Can-Am Members
KT lets just say it was fun to do but when you have arthritis in your hands it's a pain it took me about 5 hours maybe 6 hours to do it with Milliput if the kit is easier i say go for it is there any way to get a small sample i never seen it up close, how does it adhere to the hull, does it look too perfect cause the zimmerit wasn't
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46932.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1883921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63339.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1883922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14256.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1883923  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

THAT looks great Greg!

~ Jeff
Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice stuff!

I see there is a Pnz IV kit.. can anyone foresee an issue between it and a HL hull ?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 AM
karel47

here is my porsche tiger with revell putty and thinner made the zimmerit by hand ... very battled indeed

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59369.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1883924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51820.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1883925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26048.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1883926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61558.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1883927  
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

THAT too looks great!

Looks like it took on a brigade of Shermans!

~ Jeff
Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 AM
karel47

yes it look very harsh this zimmerit , great pieces lost on the turret , body etc ... it's a lot of work but very rewarding
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM
karel47

yes it look very harsh this zimmerit , great pieces lost on the turret , body etc ... it's a lot of work but very rewarding