RCU Forums - View Single Post - Getting back in the 1/2a game (cloud ranger)
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting back in the 1/2a game (cloud ranger)

Xanaphyst-I'd try and get the white or black nylon Coxes if you can manage it-the grey rigid ones break too easily-and the Classic prop shaft is very thin! A bit of prop flexibility is probably not a bad thing!

BMJR models (www.bmjrmodels.com) has some suitable laser cut kits....certainly for Texaco, Old Timer. I'm not sure that a typical electric Park flyer would be quite so amenable to fitting an MP Jet Classic to-simply because they're usually a lot more lightly built. There is a 42" Texaco plan around (Carstens IIRC) for the Buzzard Bombshell that would be a good match. Any 1/2A Texaco model is going to be a good fit with the Classic-as you're operating right in the same regime as the Cox Texaco-about an 8" prop and 6-7000rpm. You could also scale up any of the 020 Replica vintage kit plans to around 42-44" span-but you'd need to make structural alterations (beefing up around the nose area, for example). I have the KK plan for a 1/2A Texaco Playboy Snr that I've often considered fitting the MP Jet Letmo 0.6 replica to-(the Letmo being the inspiration for the MP Jet Classic)-but at 45" span it is a wee bit on the large size.....but I suppose if it flew on a Cox Texaco in the past, than an MP Jet should fly it.........

There are a few useful accessories out for the MP Jet Classic-a spinner nut (which only really improves the look), a larger 3cc metal tank, a clear view tank, a 'T-type' compression screw, and a very useful machined radial mount-which certainly makes the job of mounting a lot easier on designs originally set up for Cox reed valves. Its not a perfect world though-you still have to accommodate the venturi and tank somehow behind the rear face of the radial mount.....though of course you can choose to use an external tank, and then you have the option of rotating the venturi and needle valve assembly to any angle you choose that's convenient.

See pics below. Not all vendors will necessarily stock the various accessory items. The props shown are not current production-but still readily found on Ebay, and well worth the effort spent to obtain them-they'll certainly outlast the more rigid modern type, and are a lot more forgiving on the fingers! They also tend to have thinner hubs than modern types, which makes them better suited to older engines which often have shorter prop shafts. The DC prop shown fitted is virtually indistinguishable from the Topflite one-other than the embossed writing......so close in fact that I suspect some form of licensed copy.

The sport model shown-currently on the back burner, would quite happily convert to R/C if needed, and is almost entirely built from medium 1/8" balsa-apart from obvious bits like engine bearers and firewall. Very durable, easily repaired-this one is the third built to this size (the original 'Humbug' being 30" span, built from 3/32" , and flown with a Cox Pee Wee)

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

PS....the 'Super Sniffer' would also be a good match-it used to be kitted by Midwest-but that was long ago-the plan though is probably still available from one source or another
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37157.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1860820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67820.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1860821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28949.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	36.4 KB