RCU Forums - View Single Post - **Seagull Nemesis** The need for speed build thread!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **Seagull Nemesis** The need for speed build thread!!

My motor will be here in two days, so I jumped from a build I am doing (waiting on the wheels to get here for it) and didsome work on the Nemesis...

Mounting the stab..
Not real exciting butthere were some things i thought I would post about so others can check theirs...

First I attached thewings to the fuse andused the hold down bolts sothey were pulled all the way in.. I took a string with a pin in the center ofthe firewall and made sure they were square to the fuse. They were right on the money, very happy with that.. I then leveled the fuse and checked my incidence, bingo, it was perfect.. Very very happy about that, they built mine niceand straight!

I then set the stab in the cradle and weighted it down with some sand bags and checked the incidence on it. It was reading not even a 1/4 of a degree+, so i checked the wing to make sure nothing moved and it was all good.. I was going to leave things alone being so close to 0, till I checked the tips of the stab and seen it was an 1/8" off... In the first pic you can see the left side is dropping down and this needed to be fixed for my liking.. I had to sand the cradle on the port side to get the stab sitting level to the wings, not much work to get it right..
A little trick i use at work when I have to sand with a belt sander and it works great on stuff like this when you need to sand off the same amount.. Take a pencil and put some marks all over where you need to sand, when the pencil marks are gone, stop sanding there.. It took sanding off my marks four times to get the stab level.. So while I was at it I got the incidence right on the numbers as well.. It sounds like more work then it really is, in all it took about 30 minutes to get everything right on.. I am kind of anal when it comes to setting up my stuff and I feel it's time well spent...

You can see in the second pic things look a lot better, my bench is level so some quick measurements of the wings to the bench and the stab to the bench, when they are equal, your good to go...
Last thing I checked was the stab to the fuse with the string method and from wing tip to stab tip, all was good. I added some tri-stock for more gluing surface and mixed up my epoxy, just waiting on it to cure...

One other thing to mention about the stab that really impressed me.. In the pics you can see that the trailing edge is infact hard wood, but it's also one piece, no joint.. The sheeting is also full length with no seam in the middle.. Also, the leading edge is 1/8" ply between the sheeting, not sure how far back it goes, but it's really solid... The whole stab is rock solid, tad on the heavy side, but rock solid.. I can see why others end up needing weight in the nose, I shouldn't be in the boat with the twin up front...

Jimbo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40140.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1861176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27923.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1861177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20908.jpg
Views:	137