RCU Forums - View Single Post - E-flight 160 for a Brio ??
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: E-flight 160 for a Brio ??

A little worried about feeding the troll here, but, Dr. Motor, what you don't seem to understand is the concept of "binning" that just about every factory that I know of bins the parts they manufacture based on their ability to meet various spec parameters in testing. the lower the tolerance for variation from spec the fewer parts are produced and the more expensive those parts are. It's true for computer memory (ask anyone who's put cheap memory into their PC and had a POST error 3 months later or suddenly started getting a lot more BSODs (blue screen of death in windows)) AND it's true for motors.

Also, your blanket statements about Hacker motors are fundamentally false. The standard for something to be labeled "made in Germany" is much higher than the standard for "Made in the USA" and while SOME hacker motors are made in China (and are stamped as such) they pass the spec requirements before leaving the factory and then go through Hacker's quality checking before being distributed under the Hacker brand. Other Hacker motors (my 2 Q60's and my Q80-8m) are labeled "Made in Germany" and, are, in fact, actually made in Germany. The Magnets come from China (which has most of the world's deposits of Neodynium) , and the outer housing + X mount are made in china, but the motor winding and stator are done in Germany, the gluing of magnets is done in Germany, etc.

Finally, do these Turnigy, etc. motors have the same level of service that you get from Hacker or E-flite? I can send a motor back to Hacker if it behaved wrongly or if I crashed it and they will take care of the motor for no charge (if the problem was on their end) or a small percentage of the motor's cost if the problem was of my making (i.e. I crashed it) replacing bearings, etc. checking for cracks in the magnets + glue, etc.

There ARE good chinese motors, and they tend to have a "name brand" with domestic service and support in their major market regions. That costs money above and beyond manufacturing cost and therefore the motors cost a little more.

Peter+