RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Cessna 182 build
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Hi Angel (Moscarrata),

Thank you for your kind words.
The navigation lights (wing tip lights) are home made. They are not completely scale, but come pretty close. The LEDs that I'm using for lights are a tiny bit bigger than the size they would need to be to fit into scale size lenses so the light assembly had to be a little larger than scale. I tried to make it look correct in spite of the fact that proportions are a little bit off and I think it worked.

First of all, the lenses are made by cutting away the socket end of a glass automotive bulb using a Dremel tool. Where the lenses needed to be colored, red and green transparent Tamiya paint was used to coat the glass on the inside. The shell of the light assembly was carved from pieces of scrap balsa. When I arrived at the shape I was looking for, the wood was soaked with CA glue to harden it, followed by fine sanding and several coats of automotive primer before painting. Since this carved piece of wood represents a sheet metal part, I shaped indentations where the screws go so that it looks like sheet metal that's being pulled down by a screw head. The phillips head screws are real and come from eyeglass frames.

If you have patience and a little skill, you could try making these things yourself. You might be surprised at what you can do.

Steve