RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 AM
SicRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Hi sundogz, my site is still 'under construction' (that's an understatement lol). Here's a link to a youtube vid from a customer in the states that is running the 4800kv on 3S setup, there's not so much slow acceleration though.... he's a bit of rev head lol. It should give you an idea of the speed though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...3u49eaNrqKMThe flex shafts I make are impregnated with epoxy so they run really smoothly in the brass tube and the brass bush in the stator. You'll wear the impeller out long before you could wear out the shaft.Any vibration caused by shaft mis-alignment in a mechanical system causes friction and wastes energy with the result being that your motor is not reaching anything like it's kv rating. It is practically impossible to use a solid coupler to couple a motor and solid shaft without having a slight (at least) mis-alignment. Using a flex shaft significantly reduces mis-alignment induced vibration by functioning like 2 universal joints between the motor shaft and impeller shaft thereby allowing the smooth transmission of power even though the shafts aren't perfectly aligned.Another nasty side effect of vibration is that it creates turbulence in the water flow and makes the jet more prone to cavitation.So by using a flex shaft the motor revs much closer to it's kv rating. The pump is pushing more water through because the motor is able to spin it faster... therefore your boat goes significantly faster.I've sold hundreds of my modded jets, mod kits and flex/impellers and people swear by them. In fact I'm so confident that you'll notice a marked improvement that if anyone buys one of my jet mod kits and doesn't notice a significant difference I'll refund their money